Preparing for Commencement 2020
DEADLINE: Students must apply to the Registrar's Office to graduate by April 17 (Fri, 5:00pm), 2020.
DEADLINE: The late application deadline for Spring Quarter degree conferral is June 5 (Fri, 5:00pm), 2020. Late applications to graduate will incur a $50 fee.
DEADLINE: Student cap & gown online rental pre-order through the Bookstore is: April 27
Pick up orders from the Bookstore, lower level, starting: June 1
The Bookstore's webpage to order caps and gowns will go “live” on: March 2
Limited open stock of caps and gowns may be available at the Bookstore, lower level, from: June 3
The Bookstore's Grad Fair has been cancelled.
- Ceremonies and Events
- The Special Needs request form
- The Stanford Bookstore
- Information about the whole weekend's event
Diploma award ceremony
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Diploma Award Ceremony will be held at Memorial Auditorium on a date To Be Determined.
Please let us know whether you will attend and how many guests you are inviting by submitting the Commencement Day RSVP Form. This form will open for responses when the date of the 2020 Commencement has been determined.
YOU MUST ARRIVE AND CHECK IN BY 12:00 NOON TO START LINING UP FOR THE CEREMONY!
Here's what to do when you arrive:
- Check in at the table in front of Memorial Auditorium.
- Complete a name card and spell your name phonetically if it is unclear how to pronounce it correctly.
- Proceed to the west patio, just to the left of the entrance, to line up in alphabetical order in your degree line. A sign on the pavement will note each degree designation, and each line will have a student attendance list.
- The marshals will lead you into the auditorium. Sit in order as instructed by the marshal. The marshal will instruct you to stand and advance to the stage when it is time to receive your diploma.
- When you get to the top of the stairs on the stage, hand your card to Brenda Sampson. She will give it to the professor, who will announce your name as you cross the stage.
- After you receive your diploma, return to your seat by going out to the lobby and returning by the same aisle you originally entered by. Please stay seated until all diplomas have been awarded.
Oops ... If you are expecting a diploma and receive a blank diploma cover instead, please see Jill on stage after the ceremony. Occasionally a diploma will be out of order and cannot be found in time to be handed to you by the department chairman as you cross the stage. In those cases, a blank diploma cover will be temporarily substituted.
The reception for you and your guests will be held on the east patio of Memorial Auditorium immediately following the ceremony. You may invite no more than 6 guests, and they do not need tickets.
Stay In touch
Please help us to stay in touch with you by updating your permanent address in Axess before you leave the campus.
In case of rain...
The following applies ONLY in case of rain. The decision to use the rain plan will be made several days before the Commencement ceremony. Signs will be posted confirming rain plan information. Announcements will also be made on radio stations, including Stanford KZSU 90.1 FM, and the Stanford telephone exchange will be informed.