Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Student Positions

Main content start

Students in Civil & Environmental Engineering can be employed in three ways: hourly, research assistant (RA), course assistant (CA), teachers assistant (TA).  Please note that RA, TA and CA positions are typically considered graduate financial aid and reserved for graduate students. 

  • Graduate students can be appointed as RA/TA/CA up to 50% FTE (20 hours), and can also be employed in an hourly position for a maximum of 8 hours per week. 
  • Undergraduate students can be hired for a maximum of 15 hours per week.
  • Graduate students without an RA/TA/CA appointment can be hired for a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • Students who are not enrolled in summer may be appointed for a maximum of 40 hours per week in the summer quarter only.

Finding a TA position

Graduate financial aid

Hourly student positions: 

The Civil & Environmental Engineering Department occasionally has need of hourly student workers.  These positions will be listed on the Handshake website. Additional opportunities may be offered directly by CEE faculty depending on their research needs and funding.

External Jobs and Internships:

Stanford University has extensive resources available to help students find internships and jobs to build experience in your career.  Please see the Jobs and Internships website for further information.

The CareerEd program is available to help students design their career pathways, venture into new opportunities, and pursue their job search.