The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering accepts applications to the coterm program once per year only. Coterm applicants must submit their online Coterm application no later than December 5, 2023.
Late applications will not be accepted. Please note that we cannot guarantee the review of materials, including letters of recommendation, received after the deadline.
Coterm students would be accepted to the following Spring Quarter. Students are required to have one-quarter of overlap where both their undergraduate and graduate careers are active. Students may apply for their undergrad degree conferral during the one-quarter of overlap. Applications are not reviewed between May and November. Applicants are permitted to apply to only one coterminal program per term.
Scores from the general or subject Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required for admission to the CEE Coterm Program.
- Completed Coterminal Online Application
- Application for Approval form
- Program Proposal for MS Degree
- Please complete the Program Proposal form, listing the courses you anticipate taking for your coterminal (MS) degree. The courses may change and you will submit a finalized version prior to graduation.
- Current Stanford Transcript (Unofficial)
- Applicants are required to submit an unofficial Stanford transcript that reflects all coursework taken and grades earned as of the application deadline. Do not request an official eTranscript in the application.
- Transfer Students: List your previous institution(s) under Educational History in the online application, and upload an unofficial copy of each transcript.
- Statement of Purpose
The maximum length is three pages (single-spaced); the recommended length is two pages. Your statement of purpose should be a well-structured essay that effectively communicates the information above while demonstrating your expository writing ability; it is often effective to open with a summary paragraph rather than e.g., a personal anecdote.
In your statement of purpose, you should succinctly describe your reasons for applying to the CEE coterm program, which may include:
- Preparation for the field of study you wish to pursue
- Motivation for graduate study
- Why the MS program you are choosing is a good fit for you
- Future career plans
- Other relevant aspects of your background and interests
- CEE Supplemental Questions
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Your resume/CV provides the admissions committee with additional information to better evaluate your preparation and fit for our program. Your resume/CV is an opportunity to summarize your qualifications, honors, educational accomplishments, research accomplishments (including publications and presentations), and interests.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Letters of recommendation should be from members of the Stanford faculty who can speak to your academic and/or research background. Recommenders should know you well and be able to comment on your strengths and potential for rigorous graduate study.
- Application Fee (if enrolled)
- Students who accept the offer of admission and are matriculated (enrolled) into a coterm graduate program are assessed a $125 coterm application fee. This fee will be added to your University bill. Find out more about waivers and student aid.
Application Review and Decisions
All applications are reviewed by a faculty Graduate Admissions Committee.
Applicants will be notified of admission decisions by March 1. Admitted students must respond to the department following the instructions in the offer letter.